Sunday, February 18, 2007

Day 1 of Chinese New Year

I feel like I'm in dreamland - things feel so different during holidays.

Lots of things happened. For one thing, I managed to catch more than 40 winks definitely. Dreamt. . .of many things that happened and dreamt of what I want to do.

What had happened
Total Defence Day just passed. Most of my male colleagues just wasn't interested in donning the army uniform. I can understand - I felt dready even as I wore the uniform that morning. But memories of me during my Army days returned so vividly as I pranced around in my No. 4.

I still remembered my dream of becoming a CNB officer. Well, if not, then a police officer. It's cool - having my revolver, catching people doing sneaky things, keeping the place in order. However, God somehow, have other plans for me. Being a teacher was something that's definitely not natural. I would much rather do some forms of workout rather than stand in front of 40 pairs of winking eyes teaching them English, Maths and Science. Academic subjects is definitely not something I exceled in during my schooling years.

However, that day during Total Defence Day, God spoke to me yet again why He wanted me to be in school, and not on the streets catching criminals. As I was explaining to my pupils about the food and water rationing exercise, and the fact that they had to do without electricity in the classroom for an hour that day, something just hit me. I am doing something that God had wanted me to do!

I remembered the day when God asked me to teach, I was very unsure what I can impart to the children. My grades aren't fantastic. Add to that the misery I felt during my teacher training, I really felt disappointed because I can't see myself anywhere in God's plan. But in recent weeks, I realized that this is something exciting. Some people don't even bother to itinerate the key points of the rationing exercise. Or discipline. Or PE. Or social studies. But I realized that I been consistently driving home the point of working hard, saving up, being good, working for the future, etc. . .

What's in the future
I have three main areas for focus - my family, God's family and God's work. God's work is the key indiscernable part yet. I'm not sure if I am to stay in teaching forever. But until God says stop, I will just stay here. But I know I tend to be looking forward to changing lanes but God kept reminding me to stay.

God's family - hmm. . .only have 6 children as of today. But I thank God for each of them - they are unique in their own ways. My hope is that they will grow up to be strong and steady children of God, each trusting and knowing God personally and not just through people.

My family - will continue to wait for God's timing. Hmm. . .I'm still praying for our family's salvation. It'll come.